reposted from: https://www.aia.org/advocacy/federal/AIAB096929 By Shervan Sebastian, Manager, Federal Relations Young…
Are you looking to make a difference in your community? Do you have a passion for strategic thinking, financial forecasting, organizational behavior, project management or policy advocacy in the service of a great cause? Would you like to stretch yourself and try new challenges to support your professional development?
The AIA Blue Ridge Board of Directors is looking for candidates like you to join our board. Annually, the board welcomes new volunteers from the AIA Blue Ridge chapter to join the board for two-year terms to support the members of the chapter and represent the architecture profession in our community.
If you are energetic and passionate about architecture, not already overextended in other commitments, and eager to drive positive change through the power of design, then we would like to talk with you. Fill out your contact information in the form here:
- Time Requirements: We require a time commitment of about 84 hours per year, or a minimum of 7 hours per month for Board meetings, committee meetings, orientation sessions, and special events, including preparation time. We do much of our work in meetings but individual time is also required. We cannot do a good job, meet deadlines, and represent the full membership of our Chapter without active participation from all Board Members.
- Board Meetings: The full AIA BR Board meets 4 times per year, usually on the third Thursday of January, March, June and September, from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm, at a variety of locations in the region. If this schedule poses problems for you, please advise the Nominations Committee.
- Committee Meetings: Committees meet at the pleasure of committee members in order to accomplish certain tasks by established deadlines. Attendance and active participation is essential for the committees to do their work.
- Annual Retreat: A half-day Board Member Orientation and Annual Planning Retreat are held on a Saturday morning in the month after the Annual Meeting to review and update our strategic plan. Attendance is mandatory for ALL Board Members and Committee Chairs.
- Chapter Events: Board Members are expected to make every effort to attend these events.
- Annual Meeting: We hold an Annual Meeting which includes the Chapter’s annual business meeting, the election of Officers and Directors, and the presentation of Chapter Honors.
- Design Awards: The Design Awards ceremony is the Chapter’s premiere event and an opportunity to interact with clients, contractors, sponsors, and AIA members to celebrate the value of good design.
- Social Events: We normally have an open house and several social events each year where staff, members, sponsors, allied members, and the Board can interact.
- Fund Raising: All Board Members are expected to raise funds for the events, activities and scholarships established by the Board. No personal monetary donations are required in order to be a Board Member. Members and their firms are expected to financially support all AIA activities by, at a minimum, attending events and actively participating in Chapter activities.
Let us know you are interested by completing the contact form in the button here:
Next Post: 2018 Design Awards + Education Event
Previous Post: Emerging Leaders in Architecture 2019 Class Nominations